557 Wellington Street: The best site for the new Ottawa Central Library
The Ottawa Central Library will be built at 557 Wellington Street – steps from the intersection of Bronson Ave. and Albert St.
After a robust and comprehensive site selection process, including the evaluation of 12 potential sites, Ottawa City Council approved the OPL Board recommendation to build at 557 Wellington Street. A facility in this location will benefit from the elevation of the escarpment, the aqueduct, and the historic Fleet Street pumping station. This is the optimal site for an iconic Central Library:
- Ideally located for a city-wide service and destination, and local branch
- Large enough for the joint-facility, including outside programming spaces
- Visible from Albert Street and the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway – with unobstructed and protected views of the Ottawa river
- Well-suited for an architecturally significant building 240 – 290 metres from Pimisi LRT Station and less than 400 metres from Lyon LRT Station
- Connected to the multi-use pathways along Booth and Albert streets, and Laurier Ave.